WEST POINT — West Point watched two big leads disappear and fell victim to late offensive struggles in a 47-44 double-overtime loss to the St. John Paul II Falcons in a Class 5A Sub-regional game Tuesday night.

The defeat meant the end of the road for the Warriors, who finished the season 20-11. The Falcons (18-13) advanced to next week’s Northwest Regional Tournament at Wallace State.

West Point led by as many as 11 in the first half and held a six-point advantage with less than two minutes remaining in the game. Both times, though, the Falcons managed to rally.

With St. John Paul II trailing by a point in double-overtime, Matthew Thompson — who scored 15 points — hit a pair of free throws to put the Falcons ahead 45-44. A steal by Trenton Black on the Warriors’ next possession led to a layup with 15 seconds to go for what proved to be the final margin. West Point got a good look at the end, but the shot came up short.

But it will go down as a game of missed opportunities, well before overtime.

Things started a bit slow for West Point, as a frigid first few minutes from the field led to a 9-3 deficit on the scoreboard with three minutes left in the first quarter.

Then, the offense awoke.

A 14-0 run spanning the end of the first quarter and two minutes into the second helped the Warriors take control of the game. Will Wrenn, who scored a team-high 15 points, made two 3-pointers to help key the run, and the West Point defense held the Falcons without a field goal for nearly six minutes.

The Warriors, whose biggest lead in the first half was 22-11 on Levi Laney’s 3-pointer, eventually led 24-17 at halftime. Laney had nine in the game.

It all started going downhill for West Point at the beginning of the third quarter. Reserve Falcon forward Jeffrey English drained two 3-pointers and a layup in a little more than four minutes. A pair of free throws by Mitchell Anderson tied the game at 27-27, and Black’s jumper with 1:10 remaining in the quarter gave St. John Paul II its first lead at 32-30 since it was 9-8 in the first quarter.

The only points for Warriors in the quarter came on a pair of 3-pointers by Wrenn.

West Point seemed to shake off the tough quarter and jumped out to a 40-33 lead with 3:55 remaining in the game. What Warrior faithful didn’t know at the time was Ryder Jones’ layup at the 4:30 mark would be the last field goal of the game for West Point, meaning the team did not make a field goal for the final 12:30.

Still, the Warriors led 43-37 after three free throws from Bryant Farley with 1:55 to. St. John Paul II then made two 3-pointers — one from Zach Marshall and the other from Anderson — within 18 seconds of each other to tie the contest.

West Point had a chance to take the lead with less than a minute remaining, but misfired on the front end of a one-and-one opportunity.

Neither team scored in the first overtime, though West Point had a chance to win at the buzzer on a shot by Jones. The senior, who scored 12 points in his final game as a Warrior, had to fight through contact under the basket to get the shot away, but the ball rolled off the rim.

That led to the dramatic final four minutes.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Trending Video

Recommended for you