Planning is well underway on the 2015 edition of the annual Rock the South music festival, and organizers have now set a date for the two-day event.
Heritage Park in Cullman will transform into a country music mecca once again on June 19-20. Organizers had previously expressed an interest to find a larger site for the event, but at least for 2015, the festival will remain at Heritage Park.
No headliners have been revealed yet, though announcements are expected soon in regards to the lineup and detailed information on when and where ticket presales will be available.
Rock the South has quickly grown into one of the biggest events in Cullman history, hosting popular acts such as Sara Evans, The Band Perry, Little Big Town and Charlie Daniels. Last year’s event brought more than 30,000 people to the city over a two-day span.
Organizer Shane Quick said his team wanted to announce the 2015 date and venue as soon as possible to give fans a chance to clear the weekend, with more details coming soon in regards to logistics and acts.
“Since June 23, 2014, the question in the Rock the South office has been 'How can we make Rock the South 2015 bigger and better?' And we believe we have done just that. Simply put, you have sent us your requests and we have heard you loud and clear. In the coming days, we will be releasing details that will be the talk of the South,” Quick said. “We wanted to get the dates and location out first, so people can mark their calendars and make arrangements. Soon to follow, we'll be announcing artist lineups, ticket info, parking improvements, and new amenities. Later this week, we'll be sharing information about a special ticket pre-sale, where all Rock the South patrons can get the lowest priced tickets available. We’re looking forward to another successful year of introducing people to the great city of Cullman, Alabama.”
This year will mark the third of a five-year contract between the Cullman parks department and Rock the South, and is the last year the city is required to pay $150,000 toward the event. The city will continue to provide cleaning services, security (i.e. police) and parking for the length of the agreement. Last year, estimated overtime expenses and other costs for these in-kind services totaled over $50,000.
The city’s public safety committee is already working with event organizers on the logistics for this year’s event, and hosted a session with the Cullman County Emergency Management Agency, local police, fire, sheriff’s deputies and other entities that play a role in the planning process earlier this week.
Following the full-scale evacuation of the park last year due to inclement weather, organizers will once again request the National Weather Service provide an on-site meteorologist to monitor conditions.
“That worked out really well last year,” EMA director Phyllis Little said.
Officials are looking at gate logistics and park layout right now, and some changes could be on the way based on traffic flow and lessons learned last year. The parking situation is also being looked at, following complaints from many attendees last year.
City officials have requested an air-conditioned medical tent this year, in an effort to help address heat exhaustion, and are eyeing plans to have one larger medical station in a centralized location as opposed to two smaller sites.