The out-of-district fees to attend the Cullman City Schools system are set for a minor increase next year.
The fees will increase by $25 for a single student, and $50 for multiple children. The cost for one student will rise from $700 to $725, while the cost for two or more students will increase from $1,200 to $1,250.
Approximately one-third of the city school system’s enrollment comes from outside the city, and officials say the out-of-district enrollment is useful to provide class size stability that affects everything from state-earned teacher units to overall funding. Superintendent Dr. Susan Patterson noted the fee is a way to balance the revenue not earned from taxes, etc. from those out-of-city students. With the system ranked among the best performers in the state, Cullman City Schools has proven extremely popular with out-of-district parents, with a lengthy waiting list often in place at the primary school.
“Every year, it typically goes up a little bit, to keep us in line with ad valorem tax we’re not getting with those students,” she said. “So, there’s always a small percentage to stay in line with those needs. we try not to do it too much, but to make up the difference.”
In other business the board:
▶ East Elementary School, David Wiggins, Principal: 2016 CLAS Banner School
▶ Hunter Brooks, 6th Grade Student at East Elementary School: Qualified to compete in the state level competition of the National Geographic Bee
* Sharon-Elizabeth Smith, 1st Grade Student at Cullman City Primary School: Alabama State Department of Education Visual Arts Award for Outstanding Artwork.
* Gabby Richter, 1st Grade Student at Cullman City Primary School: Alabama State Department of Education Visual Arts Award for Outstanding Artwork. Artwork was also chosen for display at the Superintendent’s Visual Arts Exhibit at the Old Supreme Court Library at the State Capitol VIII.
* February 16, 2016 and February 23, 2016 minutes.
* Approved February, 2016 payroll of $1,837,641.98, invoices paid of $1,162,315.72, financial statements and bank reconciliations.
* The following Head Start Items:
- Expenditures/Download Report for February, 2016.
- Health/Nutrition/Disabilities/Enrollment Report for February, 2016
- 2nd Trimester Outcomes Report 4. 2nd Trimester CLASS Scores
* Permission to surplus/salvage one Savin GX3050N printer from Head Start
* Permission to surplus/salvage the following items from West Elementary School: Dell Computer Asset #00719, Dell Computer S/N GXJ4X01, two Dell keyboards, two Dell monitors, one Dell monitor speaker, and a Brother printer HL-2170W
* Permission to surplus/salvage the following items from Cullman High School: Seven 4x6 wood laminate tables, seven 2x6 plastic computer tables, 30 chairs, and six computer desks.
* Proposed revision to Board Policy 6.1.3.a. Attendance Zone Assignment. This item will be sent out to the Policy Review Committee.
* Proposed revision of Board Policy 7.3.1 General Grade Scale. This item will be sent out to the Policy Review Committee.
* Proposed revision of Board Policy 7.3.2 Advanced Placement and Pre-AP Grade Scale. This item will be sent out to the Policy Review Committee.
* Proposed revision of Board Policy 7.12 Graduation, Certificate of Completion, and Commencement. This item will be sent out to the Policy Review Committee.
* Proposed revision of Board Policy 7.12.2 Valedictorian/Salutatorian. This item will be sent out to the Policy Review Committee.
* Proposed removal of Board Policy 7 12 1 Honor Graduates. This item will be sent out to the Policy Review Committee.
* Permission to enter Into a financing agreement with Signature Public Funding to purchase 200 laptops for teachers frorn CDI Computers. The leasing agreement with CDI Computers was approved at the February meeting.
* Permission for Cullman City Primary School Kindergarten Camp during first two days of school: Boys will attend school on August 10, 2016, and the girls will attend on August 12, 2016.
* Permission for Cullman City Primary School, East Elementary School, West Elementary School, Cullman Middle School, and Cullman High School to adopt the entire State Approved Textbook List for Science Education.
* Permission for Cullman High School to adopt the entire State Approved Textbook List for Camel Education.
* Approval of the 2016-2017 Breakfast Lunch Agreement between Cullman City Primary School and Cullman City Head Start.
* Approval of Head Start Partnership Agreements with the following: Brook’s Place (Child Advocacy Center), Cullman Caring for Kids, The Link, United Way of Cullman, Victim Services, and Wallace State Adult Education
* Approval of the Occupancy Agreement between Cullman City Head Start and Cullman City Board of Education beginning August I, 2016 through July 31, 2017.
* Approval of the four day work work schedule beginning June 6, 2016 - July 29, 2016; Superintendent’s Office hours may vary to include Friday work as needed.
* Personnel Considerations:
Retirements: Wanda Edge, secretary/receptionist at Cullman Middle School; Susan Jones, Special Education teacher at Cullman Middle School, effective June 1, 2016; Deborah Lynn Cummings, sixth grade teacher at West Elementary School; Anita Moore, kindergarten teacher at Cullman City Primary School.
Resignations: Melisa Thompson, secretary/bookkeeper at Cullman High School; Yenny Laney, Head Start interpreter at Cullman City Primary School; Mallory Mall, kindergarten teacher at Cullman City Primary School.
* Resignation/completion of temporary employment: Lauren Hathcock, temporary resource teacher at West Elementary School for the 2015-2016 school year; Savannah Ponder, temporary kindergarten teacher at Cullman City Primary School for the 2015-2016 school year.
* Transfers: Ashleigh Hendrix, transfer from Instructional assistant at Cullman City Primary School to temporary first grade teacher at Cullman Primary School to fill a leave of absence beginning February 23, 2016 through approximately May 18, 2016; Sarah Howell, transfer from instructional assistant at West Elementary School to temporary second grade teacher at West Elementary School; Cynthia Parker, transfer from secretary/receptionist at Cullman High School to secretary/receptionist at Cullman Middle School, effective June 4, 2016.
* Leaves of Absence: Susan Evans, resource teacher at West Elementary School, requests extended catastrophic sick leave for the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year; Melissa Richard, secretary/bookkeeper at Central Office requests Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) beginning March 18, 2016; Roseann Gomez, instructional assistant at Cullman City Primary School, requests one day unpaid leave of absence on April 18, 2016; Chelsea Cupp, temporary Head Start Instructional assistant, requests five days unpaid leave during March, 2016 to complete her field experience requirements for Athens State University; LaFonda Sherill, sixth grade teacher at East Elementary School, requests one day unpaid leave of absence on April 28, 2016.
* Supplement Resignation: Deborah Lynn Cummings, Beta Club sponsor at West Elementary School, effective June 1, 2016.
* Supplements: Stacie Owen, transfer from junior varsity cheerleader co-sponsor to sponsor at Cullman High School, effective January 6, 2016; Jordan Guthrie, temporary community baseball assistant coach at Cullman High School (Booster Club Funds); Jake Knappenberger, temporary community soccer coach at Cullman High School (volunteer); Dominick Kendall, temporary community soccer coach at Cullman High School (volunteer).