AGCOR Steel is expanding its operations to Berlin, with plans to double its workforce.
The Vinemont-based manufacturer is getting help with a $4 million tax abatement approved recently by the Cullman County Commission. AGCOR Steel produces metal roofing and post frame buildings with a focus on agricultural, commercial, and residential metal buildings.
It currently has around 20 employees. County officials said the company’s expansion to its Berlin site will create more jobs, with the ultimate goal of all operations moving to the new location near the Berlin Community Center on U.S. 278.
The tax abatement covers the costs for the building and equipment.
In other business, the Cullman County Commission:
* Approved minutes, appropriations, expenditures, payroll, requisitions and all journal entries from September 13 meeting.
* Proclaimed October as Pro Bono Month.
* Authorized Chairman Kenneth Walker to sign NARCOG Title Ill Aging contract for FY-2017.
* Authorized Walker to sign NARCOG SenioRx contract for FY-2017.
* Authorized Walker to sign $196,000 Alabama Department of Youth Services Agency grant agreement for FY 2016-2017.
* Authorized Walker to sign $3,000 North Alabama Highway Safety Office grant for the Sheriff’s Office for FY 2017 for overtime pay for traffic enforcement.
* Approved Retired Employee’s Health Insurance Payments.
* Purchased 10 computers for the Revenue Department from White River for $9,982.90.
* Authorized Walker to sign an agreement with Diversified Computer Services for the implementation of CIMS, County Information Management System, for the Road Department. The cost is $31,200 plus training and $650 monthly system fee. County Engineer John Lang said the system is a great tool for the county to use to inventory all roads.
* Authorized Probate Judge Tammy Brown to enter into a professional services agreement extension with Syscon for an additional 36 months, from September 2016 to September 2019.
* Authorized Walker to sign event agreement with SECCA, LLC to host a dirt bike race at Stony Lonesome OHV Park Saturday.
* Authorized Walker to sign an agreement with IronPlanet for the auction of the following equipment from the Road Department: Dresser rubber tire loader and New Holland wheeled loader.
* Authorized Lang to sign a blanket listing agreement with IronPlanet for listings.
* Awarded bid for fusing of pipe and fittings for waterline project at Golf Course Road/I-65 in Dodge City to low-bidder Consolidated Pipe Supply.
* Approved purchase of Ford Explorer from the State Bid List for the Water Department for $24,948.50.
* Approved 12-lot plot plat for Hidden Shores Subdivision, Phase II, on County Road 71.
* Set speed limits on a portion County Road 518 at 35 mph and CR-1831 at 25 mph.
* Awarded bid for air conditioning work at the Cullman County Detention Center to low-bidder Christian and Son Heating and Cooling in Cullman for $38,000.
* Awarded split bid for motor oil to Hager Oil and Stewart Auto Supply.
The Cullman County Commission will hold a work session at 8:30 a.m. Oct. 11, followed by its meeting at 10 a.m.