BY PHILLIP RAWLS
MONTGOMERY, Ala. —
Gov. Robert Bentley has announced another $372 million in road and bridge projects for 45 counties in Alabama.
The announcement Wednesday alongside a $10 million bridge widening project in Calera will bring Bentley's Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program to nearly $1 billion in projects. The Republican governor says that will culminate the program for now because that's all the state should borrow at this time. Bentley wouldn't speculate on whether he would bring the program back if he's elected to a second term next year.
The ATRIP program involves the state selling bonds that will be paid off with future highway dollars from the federal government. Then the state puts up 80 percent of the cost of a project, and a city or county provides the remaining 20 percent.