The Cullman County Commission is keeping the same fireworks production company for its Independence Day show at Smith Lake Park July 1.
On Tuesday, the commission approved extending the bid for the fireworks display to Pyro Shows of Alabama. The company has provided fireworks entertainment throughout the world for almost half a century, including Smith Lake’s annual show in recent years.
Pyro Shows won first place in the North American Fireworks Competition and has orchestrated the Fourth of July fireworks at the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. for 13 times since 1995.
The Smith Lake Park Fourth of July Fireworks and Music Festival is slated for 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, July 1. For more information, go online to www.cullmancountyparks.com.
In other business, the Cullman County Commission:
- Approved from Feb. 14 meeting: minutes, appropriations, expenditures, payroll, requisitions and all journal entries to be posted.
- Set public hearing for April 11 to consider request from AGCOR Steel LLC to vacate a portion of County Road 1615.
- Approved recommendation of attorney Mark Maclin (Wilmer & Lee) regarding the stipulation and agreement for the distribution of interpleader funds in the matter of Ditech v. Jimmy Haynes, et al. County Attorney Chad Floyd said a 2012 federal IRS lien against Haynes (doing business as East Point Tire) superseding the county’s tax lien filed in 2015. The property auction netted $2,200 more than what was owed so those funds will go to the IRS to satisfy its lien.
- Appointed Peggy Day to the Cullman 310 Authority (CCCDD) Board for a six-year term to expire April 1, 2023, replacing Wayne McCraken. It was Associate Commissioner Kerry Watson’s appointment.
- Approved $12,999 purchase of a Kubota ZD1211-60-Diesel zero turn mower for Smith Lake Park from Dixie Tractor Company.
- Approved $216,040.13 purchase of a 2018 Heil Lowlift CL6022 and 12 containers off the NJPA cooperative list through Ingram Equipment Co., Inc. for the Sanitation Department roll-off operation.
- Set speed limit en CR-1814 at 35 mph.
- Approved initiating a federal aid project on CR-222 from CR-109 to CR-96.
- Approved plat for Pinnacle Landing Subdivision, located at U.S 31 and CR-1285.
- Awarded bid for micro-surfacing for various county roads to Whitaker Contracting in Guntersville.
- Awarded bid for computer equipment to White River which currently has the county’s bid.
The Cullman County Commission will hold a work session at 8:30 a.m., Tuesday, March 28, followed by its meeting at 10 a.m.