CHARLOTTE, N.C. — NASCAR on Tuesday announced competition changes for 2013 that includes the elimination of the top 35 qualifying rule and a reduced field size in the Nationwide Series.
Starting next season, the top 35 cars in owners' points will no longer be guaranteed a spot in the Sprint Cup field. NASCAR will use a 36-6-1 format in which the fastest 36 cars make the race on speed. The next six highest ranking cars in owners points not already qualified then earn a starting spot, followed by the most recent eligible past champion driver.
"This is a big win for our fans," said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition. "They'll see the fastest cars earn their starting spots. This change adds intrigue, drama and excitement to qualifying."
In the Nationwide Series, NASCAR will only allow a maximum of 40 cars to race each week instead of 43. The change cuts three cars from the field who likely would have started then parked shortly after with no intention of attempting to race.
"We feel to strengthen the ownership base it's best served to reduce that field to 40 cars," said Pemberton. "It gives us an opportunity to put what we feel is a better quality field of cars in play at those Nationwide events."
The Sprint Cup fields will remain at 43 cars and the Truck Series field will stay at 36 trucks.
Among other changes announced Tuesday:
— The Sprint Cup Series qualifying order will be based on random draw instead of practice speeds.
— If qualifying is rained out, the field will be set by the rule book but the starting order for the race will be determined by practice speeds.
— Last year's owner points will be used to set provisionals for the first three races; the rules currently have last year's points carry over for the first five races.