Cullman County Commissioners agreed Tuesday to move forward with negotiations on a piece of property for the Cullman County Water Department.
It’s the second time in several years the commission has considered buying the property, which is located at 2010 Beech Ave. SE, according to Commission Chairman Kenneth Walker.
“Several years ago the county was looking at buying this property, but it was quite a bit more than what we thought it was worth at the time,” Walker said. “The company has come down quite a bit on it since then, and it’s about $8,500 less than it was in 2008 when it was looked at previously.”
Walker told commissioners Darrell Hicks and Stanley Yarbrough before the vote he felt it would be an asset for the county to own if a price could be negotiated.
“I think if we can get it at a reasonable price like that, it would be a great idea for us to get it,” Walker said.
There were no specifics given as to what the property may be used for.
In other action, the commission:
* confirmed a tax abatement by the City of Cullman for RCM, Inc. for additional machinery in the amount of $500,000.
* considered the surplus of a 2005 Dodge Caravan VIN# 2D8GP44L95221794 from CARTS, vehicle totaled in wreck, and accept insurance proceeds of $9,474.55.
* considered a donation of $1,150 to the 2013 Cullman County 4-H & FFA Junior Livestock Expo.
* authorized Chairman Walker to appoint Karen Hill to the Cullman County Agricultural Development Board for a four year term expiring Sept. 30, 2016, replacing Kenneth Neal.
* approved Bid No. 1122 — landscape project.
* approved Bid No. 1123 — Bituminous Plant Mix.
* ratified the following personnel actions:
• Bryan Grimmett — full time provisional to OHV Park.
• Donna Marcella — CARTS- status was changed in previous meeting, failed to adjust pay accordingly.
Reinstatement of pay grade and pay scale:
• James Pair — full time to Sanitation.
Reduction in force:
• Brandie Overton — part time to Clarkson Covered Bridge.
The next regular county commission meeting will be held Tuesday, Jan. 22 at 10 a.m. in the commission meeting room on the first floor of the courthouse.
%Ashley Graves can be reached by phone at 734-2131, ext. 225, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org