CULLMAN — Good morning, readers, this is what's happening in your county today:
Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 55. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tonight expect mostly clear, with a low around 35. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
The Cullman County Board of Education will meet at 6:30 p.m.in the Central Office Board Room at 402 Arnold st. NE, Cullman 35055. Work session is 5:30 p.m.
Overeaters Anonymous will meet at 9:30 a.m. in the Carriage House at Grace Episcopal Church. Info: 256-747-6218 or 256-352-1143.
10 Things to Know for Today
By The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about on today:
1. SUPERSTORM NEARS EAST COAST
Sandy is expected to come ashore Monday night in New Jersey bringing high winds, soaking rain and a surging wall of water up to 11 feet tall.
2. AIR TRAFFIC COMES TO A NEAR HALT AS NORTHEAST GEARS FOR SANDY
Thousands of flight cancellations mean passengers are stranded from Hong Kong to Europe.
3. MEET THE GIANTS’ UNLIKELY WORLD SERIES HEROES
Series MVP Pedro Sandoval kicked off the sweep with three home runs in Game 1. Marco Scutaro clinched the victory with his hit in the tenth inning in Game 4.
4. CAMPAIGN’S LAST WEEK TURNS INTO SCHEDULING NIGHTMARE
Obama and Romney are grappling with how to continue campaigning while a massive storm is hitting the nation’s eastern third.
5. WHERE NEWSPAPER ENDORSEMENTS REALLY MATTER
Swing voters pay attention to newspapers’ picks in local and state elections whose candidates and issues don’t get so much coverage.
6. U.S. HEALTH INSURERS’ BIG DILEMMA ON OBAMACARE
Sure, the industry hates much of the new law. But UnitedHealth Group, BlueCross Blue Shield and others stand to rake in billions from new customers.
7. WHAT THE ELECTIONS HOLD FOR ISRAEL’S DEFENSE MINISTER
Despite his illustrious political career, Ehud Barak is looking at what many think is a possible end for his ambitions.
8. LOOK WHO SEEMS TO BE BEST AT KNOWING HOW TO UNPLUG
It just might be tech-industry folks, who take long, unwired vacations and aren’t shy about setting “away” messages.
9. HOW SOME INDONESIAN GIRLS BECOME SEX SLAVES
Older men are using Facebook to meet teenagers whom they kidnap, abuse and then traffick within the country and abroad.
10. FOR CATALANS, SOCCER CLUB IS A SYMBOL OF NATIONALISM
“Barca” carries the dreams of the wealthy northeastern region of Spain as the country’s financial crisis fuels separatist sentiment.