The Cullman County Commission made their official appointment to the North-central Alabama Regional Council of Governments board Tuesday.
The Commission agreed to appoint Johnny Dyar, mayor of Baileyton, to the position. Dyar serves as president of the Cullman County Mayor/Commissioner Association.
“Since we’ve done restructuring of the NARCOG board in Decatur, we’ve made some changes, and now we’re only a 14 member board,” Commissioner Stanley Yarbrough said. “I make the motion we appoint the president of the Cullman County Mayor’s Association.”
Morgan County pulled out of NARCOG roughly a year ago due growing frustration surround the board’s voting process. In order to get them to return, the old board, comprised of 40 members, made a compromise at its January meeting to reduce the number of those voting to 14. The move allowed Morgan County to regain 50 percent control of the organization, and puts voting power back similar to the way it was several years ago when population decided the number of votes each county is entitled to on the board. Before, the bylaws had given Cullman County the majority of votes due to having the most municipalities.
“I’m just proud to be apart of Cullman County and proud to be a part of NARCOG,” Dyar said. “We need to get them (NARCOG) back on the right track.”
In other business, the commission:
* set the tax levy for 2013.
* approved resolution 2013-28 — addressed Section 10.7.3 of the personnel handbook for payment of administrative weather days on Jan. 17, 2013 and April 11, 2013.
* approved resolution 2013-29 — authorization of the signing of the state sub-grantee agreement for the pre-fab safe room at Brushy Pond Community center; HMGP DR (1971-672).
* authorized the chairman to sign the memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Brushy Pond Community Center.
* postponed resolution 2013-30 — the authorization of the signing of the state sub-grantee agreement for the pre-fab safe room at Hanceville Community Center; HMPG DR (1971-671).
* postponed the chairman’s signing of the memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Hanceville Community Center.
* approved resolution 2013-31 — Recreational Trails Program Fund application for parking lot lighting at Stony Lonesome OHV Park.
* approved resolution 2013-32 — abatement of taxes to Topre America Corp. for $25 million for equipment and machinery.
* approved resolution 2013-33 — abatement of taxes to Advanced Rotors, Inc. for $1,500,000 for equipment and machinery.
* approved resolution 2013-34 — abatement of taxes to Good Ole Boy Properties, LLC (Advanced Rotors) for $300,000 for land and building.
* approved resolution 2013-35 — abatement of taxes to Mach III Properties for $300,000 for land and building.
* approved a request from the Cullman County Fair Association in the amount of $1,056.32 for assistance with the utilities incurred with Christmas Love.
* approved the re-appointment of Rex Smith to the Cullman Regional Airport Board for a four year term to expire January 2017.
* approved Bid No. 1131 — uniforms for the Sheriff’s Department.
* awarded the bid to Reed Contracting for the renovations for the Cullman County Economic Development Building.
* rejected the bid submitted for the demolition and removal of the Hays House.
* request bids for the salvage value for the fixtures of the Hays House.
* ratified the following personnel actions:
Steve Johns, Road Department.
Shontae Walton, Revenue Office.
Dennis Grove, CARTS.
Hilda Teague, Sherrif’s Department.
Dustin Bentley, Sherrif’s Department.
Josh McNatt, Sheriff’s Department.
Marlin Johnson, Sheriff’s Department.
David Sandlin, CARTS.
Jannie Thomas, Sheriff’s Department.
Stacy Earwood, Sheriff’s Department.
John Davidson, Sheriff’s Department.
Ryan Fortenberry, Sheriff’s Department.
Corey Harbison, Sheriff’s Department.
Christopher Willingham, Sheriff’s Department.
Margaret Robinson, Sheriff’s Department.
Joey Clark, Sheriff’s Department.
Brittney Barnett, Smith Lake.
Dena Williamson, Smith Lake.
The next commission meeting will be Tuesday, May 28 at 10 a.m. in the commission meeting room on the first floor of the Cullman County Courthouse.
Ashley Graves can be reached by phone at 734-2131, ext. 225, or by email at email@example.com