By Ashley Graves
The Cullman Times
Cullman County Commissioners authorized a request this week to allow the local delegation to propose legislation on a unit system that would oversee all road projects funded through the county commission.
Currently, the county operates under the district system, with an east and a west side road department, despite converting the two entities into one in 2011.
“This will just cut down on the confusion that it has caused,” county attorney Heath Meherg said.
Since the consolidation, commissioner Darnel Hicks said the county has seen substantial savings.
“We’ve saved a lot on duplication, personnel, and reduced personnel,” Hicks said. “It’s been quite a savings to the county. We actually have the option of operating under a district or unit system, but we’d like to stay with the unit system because of the cost savings we have experienced in the last two years.”
The request is required to be advertised for four weeks before it can be taken into the House. Meherg expects the advertisement process to begin next week.
In other action, the commission:
* considered approval of the catastrophic inmate medical insurance.
* ratified Jim Bruce Construction to do renovation work on the third floor offices and courtroom totaling $14,985.
* authorized Commissioner Hicks to re-appoint Greg Barksdale to the Industrial Development Authority for a six-year term to expire Jan. 19, 2019.
* authorized Chairman Walker to re-appoint Raymond Williams to the Industrial Development Authority for a six-year term to expire Jan. 19, 2019.
* authorized the re-appointment of Wilhelmina Parris to the Regional Housing Authority for a four-year term to expire Feb. 2017.
*approved bid no. 1124 for a new AS-400 computer.
* considered a donation of $1,000 to the Walter Community Center, a polling location.
*Ratified the following personnel actions:
Cheri Gibbs (rehire) — Sheriff's Department, part time temp.
Thomas Rutherford — Sheriff's Department, full time.
Katrina Swann — Probate, full time.
Joshua Wallace — Sheriff's Department, full time.
Wesley Self — Road Department- full time.
Monica Kugler — Probate, full time.
Because of the special election being held for the District 11 House seat on Feb. 12, the next commission meeting was moved to Thursday, Feb. 14 at 10 a.m. in the commission meeting room.
* Ashley Graves can be reached by phone at 734-2131, ext. 225, or by email at email@example.com