CULLMAN — Labor Day celebration: The Fairview Lions Club is sponsoring a Labor Day celebration at Fairview Park, 648 Wesley Ave., Cullman 35058, Sept. 2. A parade will take place at 11 a.m. with lineup at 10 a.m.; also moonjumps and turtle races and a shooting gallery for kids. All proceeds will benefit the Town of Fairview and Lions Club projects. Vendors welcome - contact Kita Chambers at 256-385-8805 to reserve your space ($20/spot). Area churches, cheerleaders, football players, tractors, horses, or anyone who would like to ride in the parade are welcome.
Upcoming family and class reunions
• Relatives of Clifford and Cora Patterson will meet at 10 a.m. Sept. 1, at Berlin Community Center. Lunch at noon. Bring covered dish, photos to share. Info: Pat Thomason 256-736-9852.
• The Mattox family reunion, descendants of Robert and Ellen Mattox, will be Sept. 7, at West Point Town Hall. Info: Shannon Mattox at 256-737-9393 or 256-338-0650.
• The Wren family reunion will be held at 10 a.m. Sept. 8, in the Bethel Community Center, 80 County Road 1172, Cullman 35057. Bring covered dish for lunch at noon.
• The Fairview High School Class of 1963 will hold its 50-year reunion at 5 p.m. Sept. 21, at Ryan’s Family Steakhouse. Info: Gary Reid at 256-339-7236.
• The J.B. Pennington High School Class of 1963 is planning their 50-year reunion to be held in October. Classmates planning to attend should contact Pat Meade at 256-586-6236 or Janice Cox at email@example.com with your contact information.
Did you know:
Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September, that celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers. It was first nationally recognized in 1894 to placate unionists following the Pullman Strike. Today, the holiday is more widely viewed as a time for barbecues and the end of summer vacations.