By David Palmer
The Cullman Times
Cullman County is in for another round of potentially thunderstorms beginning at midnight.
The National Weather Service has issued a hazardous weather outlook for north Alabama, including warnings of high winds, possible large hail and a risk of small tornadoes.
A squall line is forming ahead of a cold front, which will push forward thunderstorms and highwinds across the region. The storm front will covers an area from Memphis to the Gulf Coast. The storm system is scheduled to begin arriving in Cullman County around midnight and last possibly until 5 a.m. Friday.
“It still looks like the main threat will come from damaging winds, which could reach up to 70 miles per hour in places,”said Phyllis Little, director of Cullman County Emergency Management Agency. “There will also be a low risk of large hail, flash flooding and a low risk of a tornado.”
Little said early indications show the worst of the storm may strike in the counties west of Cullman County, but updates will be offered throughout the day as the front approaches.
Storms last week caused damage in Mississippi and parts of Alabama.
“We can expect to see some pop-up thunderstorms ahead of the front during the day or early evening,” Little said. “If a tornado watch is issued we will open the storm shelters throughout the area.”
Storm shelters across Cullman County include the following locations:
* Vinemont/Providence VFD No. 1 on County Rd 1355 – capacity approx. 100. (96) FEMA approved shelter opened by VP VFD during a tornado watch for the area
* Vinemont/Providence VFD No. 2 on Ridgeway St in town of South Vinemont – capacity approx. 100. (96) FEMA approved shelter opened by VP VFD during a tornado watch for the area.
* Garden City Town Hall located on Hwy 31 S. Capacity approx. 450+ (500) (five units total) FEMA approved/funded shelter opened by town of Garden City during tornado watch.
* Fairview Housing Authority located on Wesley Ave. Capacity approx. 100. Shelter is adjacent to 96. Countryside Acres Rd. Doors open at ALL times. FEMA approved/funded.
* Chapel Village/Jones Chapel US Hwy 278 W. Capacity approx. 100. Shelter is located at 74 Co Rd 1034. Doors open at ALL times. FEMA approved/funded.
* Dodge City Town Hall Basement located at 130 Howard Circle just off I-65 at the 299 mm. Capacity unknown. Opened by town of Dodge City during tornado watch.
* Good Hope Town Hall Basement located at 134 Town Hall Drive just off I-65 at exit 304. Capacity approx. 100. Doors open at ALL times.
* City of Cullman - Cullman Co Courthouse Basement Hallway located at 500 2nd Ave SW (building is opened and staffed by county maintenance employees during tornado watches issued after regular hours). Capacity unknown.