The Cullman Area Chamber of Commerce and The Cullman Times will host a series of forums featuring candidates in each of the county’s eight contested mayoral races.
The two-week forum series begins Monday, August 13 and will continue through the following Thursday.
All of Cullman County’s 11 municipalities will hold mayoral and council elections on Tuesday, Aug. 28. Because the mayoral races at Fairview, Holly Pond and Good Hope are uncontested, there will be no forum for candidates from those municipalities.
The August 13 forum, to be held at the Evelyn Burrow Center on the campus of Wallace State Community College, will host mayoral candidates for both Garden City and Hanceville. The remaining six forums will be held at other locations throughout Cullman County, and each will focus on a single municipal race.
Chamber interim president Leah Bolin said the forums are intended to provide voters an opportunity to hear candidates offer opinions on their towns’ direction, to compare views and equip them to make informed decisions when they go to the polls August 28.
The forums will be moderated by Times staff and members of the Chamber’s Governmental Affairs Committee.
Times publisher Bill Morgan said the forums offer an opportunity for residents in each community to gain more information about the candidates.
“Every opportunity to hear the candidates speak about the issues in their communities is important for the voters. The forums should provide a closeup view of these candidates and their views on what they hope to accomplish in public office,” Morgan said.
All the forums are open to the general public, regardless of which city or town is featured. Admission to each event is free. Forums held at restaurants do not require a food purchase in order to attend.
Following is a schedule for the seven-part forum series:
- Garden City and Hanceville — Monday, Aug. 13 at the Evelyn Burrow Center of the campus of Wallace State Community College. The Garden City forum will be held from 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. The Hanceville forum will be held from 6:45 p.m. until 7:45 p.m.
- Colony — Tuesday, Aug. 14 at the Colony Educational Complex. The forum will begin at 6 p.m.
- Dodge City — Thursday, Aug. 16 at the Iron Skillet restaurant in Dodge City. The forum will begin at 6 p.m.
- Baileyton — Monday, Aug. 20 at the Parkside Catfish restaurant. The forum will begin at 6 p.m.
- West Point — Tuesday, Aug. 21 at the Brandin’ Iron Steakhouse at West Point. The forum will begin at 6 p.m.
- Cullman — Wednesday, Aug. 22 at the All Steak restaurant. The forum will be held from 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m.
- South Vinemont — Thursday, Aug. 23 at the Cullman Regional Airport’s Windsock Cafe. The forum will begin at 6 p.m.
For more information, contact the Cullman Area Chamber of Commerce at firstname.lastname@example.org or 256-734-0454.
* Benjamin Bullard can be reached by e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at 734-2131 ext. 270.