By Ashley Graves
The Cullman Times
As details continued to emerge about Sunday night's bomb threat at Cullman Regional Medical Center, reports surfaced Monday of a similar threat made several days prior in the emergency department.
"The only thing I can say is there was a patient who threatened to harm the hospital facility," CRMC President and CEO Jim Weidner said.
It was threats like the one late last week, and other events across the United States that prompted Weidner to evacuate patients from the facility Sunday night. With the help of multiple agencies, close to 300 persons, including patients, staff, and family members were evacuated from the facility within less than an hour.
"When we made the decision, we definitely took into consideration the threat last week, along with the events that have taken place across the country in Boston and at Sandy Hook recently," Weidner said. "We felt it was in the best interest to go ahead and take precaution and evacuate for the safety of our patients."
Law enforcement officials confirmed Monday that similar threats made to CRMC prior to Sunday night were unrelated.
According to Cullman Assistant Police Chief Craig Green, the police department considered the person as a possible suspect in the bomb threat, however, quickly ruled him out.
"They had a person in the emergency room who had been drinking, and taking medication, and got belligerent with the nurses," Green said. "Because they were under the influence when the statement was made, we determined nothing was credible."
Ashley Graves can be reached by phone at 734-2131, ext. 225, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org