HANCEVILLE — Accomplished vocalists to perform at Wallace State
Two amazing vocalists will perform on Tuesday, April 22 at Wallace State Community College as part of the college’s annual Arts in April celebration.
Mezzo-soprano Maggie Gill and Tenor Shane Bloemetjie will each sing a selection of operatic and/or musical theater tunes as they perform, accompanied on piano by Mike Sparks, chair of the WSCC’s humanities department and a music instructor at the college. They will be performing arias by Donizetti, Verdi and Puccini, and songs by George Gershwin, Stephen Sondheim and others.
Maggie Gill, originally from Red Banks, Miss., is graduate student at Samford University. She holds the bachelor of music degree in vocal performance and music history from the University of Memphis.
This year Gill appeared in the Opera Birmingham production of Suor Angelica as the Lay Sister. She performed last fall with Samford Opera as Ruth in Pirates of Penzance, and was the soprano soloist in the Alabama Symphony Orchestra Chorus's performance of Benjamin Britten’s Rejoice in the Lamb.
Gill currently serves as associate for music at the Episcopal Church of the Ascension in Vestavia Hills.
Bloemetjie is a senior at UAB, where he performed in numerous roles in both opera and musical theater. He is a southeastern regional winner of National Association of Teachers of Singing in musical theater. During the summer, Bloemetjie sings with The Lake Junaluska Singers.
Gill and Bloemetjie will perform at 12:15 p.m. Tuesday, April 22, in the Burrow Center Recital Hall at Wallace State. Admission is free and is open to the public.
The list of remaining events planned for Arts in April include:
• Art Exhibition, April 14-26 in the Burrow Center, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday
• Piano performance by Katherine Vest, Piano 1st place winner at the 2014 Alabama Federated Music Clubs Auditions, 12:15 p.m. April 15, Burrow Recital Hall
• WSCC Jazz Band Dance, 7 p.m. April 18, Burrow Center, $15 donation
• WSCC Jazz Band at Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame, April 19, Carver Theatre in Birmingham; time to be announced
• Musician and composer Kurt Heineke (VeggieTales), 9:30 a.m. April 21, Betty Leeth Haynes Theatre
• Mezzo Soprano Margaret Gill and Tenor Shane Bloemetjie, with Mike Sparks accompanying, 12:15 p.m. April 22, Burrow Recital Hall
• Student Convocation, 12:15 p.m. April 24, Burrow Recital Hall
• Beatles Revolution, 9:30 a.m. April 24, Betty Leeth Haynes Theatre
• Beatles Revolution, 7 p.m. April 24-26, Betty Leeth Haynes Theatre, $7 adults, $5 students, free ages 5 and under
• Art Exhibition Artists’ Reception, 10 a.m. to noon April 26, Burrow Center
• WSCC Concert Band, 9:30 a.m. April 29, Burrow Recital Hall
• WSCC Concert Band, 7 p.m. May 1, Burrow Recital Hall
For updates and more information about Arts in April, visit www.wallacestate.edu/artsinapril, or call 256-352-8277 or 866-350-9722.