Mac Buttram with Mike Canada and the donated quilt. Carol McKoy holds up one of the quilts that members of the Heartland Quilt Guild worked on for members’ military relatives.
Twenty spouses and children of the Heartland Quilt Guild members who are veterans or are still serving in the military were honored July 12 at the Patriotic Pride Quilt Show, at East Elementary School. They were each presented a patriotic quilt made by the Heartland Quilt Guild. State Representative Mac Buttram was on hand to present the 20 quilts. Six more were donated to the Quilts of Valor Foundation in Birmingham to be given to other deserving warriors in Alabama. Recipients are:
• Major Joshua Kale Andrews, 13 years’ service and still serving in the U.S. Air Force and Air Force Reserves;
• Petty Officer Third Class Paul Bradford, 4 years’ service in the U.S. Navy (1962-1966);
• Chief Warrant Officer James Bridges, 26 years’ service in the U.S. Army (1968-1994);
• Staff Sgt. Mike Canada, 8 years’ service in Indiana Army National Guard;
• Sgt. John Nathan Crauswell, 8 years and still serving in the U.S. Army;
• Private First Class Paul Hagen, 6 years’ service in Army Reserves;
• Sgt. Clyde Laney, 6.5 years/Alabama National Guard in Birmingham, Alabama 107th Helicopter Division;
• Sgt. First Class Philip E. Miller, 25 years: 8 in U.S. Army; 8 in U.S. Air Force; 4 in U.S. Navy; 5 in U.S. Army Reserves;
• Private 1st. Class Philis Miller, 4 years in the US Army;
• Staff Sgt. Timothy McKoy, 23 in the U.S. Air Force and Army National Guard;
• Second Lt. Brian Orr, 4 in the ROTC and 4 in U.S. Army;
• Sgt. Steve Phillips, 35 years and still serving in the U.S. Army National Guard;
• Major Herman “Bill” Ruehl, 32 years in U.S. Air Force and U.S. Air National Guard;
• Lt. Col. William Anthony Ruehl, 24 years and still serving in the Air National Guard;
• Captain Stephen Sparks, 10 years in U.S. Army ROTC and U.S. Army Reserves;
• Sgt. Bret Villa, 6 years in the U.S. Air Force;
• Sgt. Jimmie Walz, 10 years in U.S. Army (1961-1971);
• Sgt. Shirley Walz, 3 years in U.S. Army (1969-1972);
• Sgt. Christopher Walz, 8 years in U.S. Army (1993-2001);
• Sgt. Ricky Lewis Weissend Jr., 13 years and still serving in the U.S. Army Reserves
Crimson Ladies donate to Nick's Kids Fund
The Crimson Ladies of Cullman recently presented a $500 check to Coach Nick Saban in support of his charity, Nick’s Kids Fund.
Cullman County Child Development Center's Halloween carnival
The Child Development Center (CDC) in Cullman County recently wrapped up an exciting week of harvest activities that ended with the annual Halloween carnival. Students, faculty, family and friends enjoyed a hayride, a bounce house, trick-or-treating and a fun carnival that included games, prizes and dancing.
Cold Springs High School's FCCLA donated to local food bank
Cold Springs FCCLA decided on having a canned food drive and donating the canned foods to Cullman Caring For Kids. When the adviser, Stephanie Blair, and her students brought the cans to the center they were taken on a tour of the Cullman Caring for Kids facility.
Judge Chaney bestowed appreciation award
Cullman District Judge Kim Chaney received the 2013 Honorable Howell Heflin Appreciation Award from Dr. Rich Hobson the Director of the Alabama Administrative Office of Courts recently.
- Vinemont Leo Club receives donation from Cullman Lions Club At a recent meeting of the Cullman Lions, the Vinemont Leo Club presented a program on the projects that they had completed or were presently participating in.
Pilot Light Home of Cullman's raffle ticket winner
The Pilot Light Home of Cullman (Pilot Light, Inc.) held a football ticket raffle for the Auburn/Georgia game.
City of Hanceville and its churches' fallfest
First Baptist Hanceville, Crosshaven Church, First Baptist Garden City, First Methodist Hanceville, Laodicea Baptist, Charis Church, Trinity Lutheran and Garden City Church of God all partnered together with local businesses and the City of Hanceville to provide citizens with a safe, family-oriented community fall festival.
Pilot Club of Cullman's 2013 fall rummage sale
Pilot Club of Cullman held their fall rummage sale Oct. 18-19, with sales amounting to $5,200.
Cullman County Auburn Club makes donation to Pilot Club
At their recent fall picnic, the Cullman County Auburn Club collected food and monetary donations for the Pilot Light House. Club members recently met with representatives of the Pilot Club to deliver the donations.
West Point High School Class of 1973's reunion
The West Point High School Class of 1973 met for their 40th class reunion July 20, 2013, at West Point Town Hall.
- More Faces Headlines
- Crimson Ladies donate to Nick's Kids Fund